independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 15th Sep 2019 11:19am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > How and when you became Princed??
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/10/14 5:57am

Dennis1972

How and when you became Princed??

Hi everyone,

I am very curious to know when, where and why you first came in touch of Prince and how you have been experienced him during that time till now....

For me it was on September 9th 1988....In the Netherlands a live broadcast from the Love Sexy Tour in Dortmund (Westfallenhallen, Germany) was scheduled and I was just curious to see what would happen as I saw the introduction of the concert while zapping by channel 'Nederland 1'. When Prince came up in his Corvette, he immediately grapped me in my deepest soul.

Of course I knew a few songs of him, but it didn't mean that much to me then.

Three hours later I was changed completely and was standing on the couch when he encored with Alphabet Street....What a thrill that evening was!

As this concert was always broadcasted live on the radio (those were the days...) I was able to track down someone who had taped it (with a few seconds missing while changing the tapes) in the days after and my days of Prince fan started. I played the tapes on my walkman and paid a small fortune on batteries for it.

I still adore almost all his work and each song of him reminds me about a particular period in my adolescent life....I always asked myself what Prince would have meant to me if I hadn't seen that show that night....

Lookin forward to read your stories....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/10/14 7:15am

iZsaZsa

avatar

What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/10/14 7:30am

Dennis1972

Thank you!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/10/14 7:35am

iZsaZsa

avatar

Dennis1972 said:

Thank you!


You're welcome. It's some good stuff. lol
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/10/14 8:18am

thedance

avatar

I was 17 years old in feb 1983, and "1999" made me a fan.

I was in my local record shop in Denmark...

The "1999" 2LP was under "imports"... I was listening in the shop, and "1999" & "Little Red Corvette" caught me right away.. he flipped the LP to side 2, and this was great as well. music

I loved the whole album, still like this album a lot -- 1999 is in my top 5 all time best Prince albums.

I have seen Prince live in concerts 19 times since 1987, to 2010. In Sweden, Germany, Holland, England and of course in Denmark.

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/10/14 8:20am

thedance

avatar

Ps) not a Corvette in 1988:

the car on the Lovesexy tour and in the Alphabet Street video is a white Thunderbird..... wink

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/10/14 1:55pm

funkaholic1972

avatar

I was 12 in 1984 when I heard When Doves Cry for the first time on the radio and I was totally blown away! First that awesome guitar intro and then that beat: that monstrous and otherwordly sounding Linn LM-1 beat that hit me like no beat had ever hit me before. Then the sexy lyrics came in and after a while came that fantastic chorus, with all the vocal adlibs throughout the song. To end it all with that gorgeous guitar solo. It was instant love for me, I was a huge MJ fan but that day I turned Purple and never looked back... wink

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/10/14 2:36pm

EyeHatechu

avatar

Im 14 but when i was 13 my dad played the SOTT album and when i first heard Adore i was hooked. Eventually when if i was your girlfriend came to the ending my dad had to switch the song for me but it was a bonding thing for me and my dad.
This Could Be Us But U Be Playin...
You Can Call It The Unexpected Or U Can Call It WOW
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/11/14 12:43am

Dennis1972

thedance said:

Ps) not a Corvette in 1988:

the car on the Lovesexy tour and in the Alphabet Street video is a white Thunderbird..... wink

I am not that much into cars wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/11/14 10:22am

thedance

avatar

Dennis1972 said:

thedance said:

Ps) not a Corvette in 1988:

the car on the Lovesexy tour and in the Alphabet Street video is a white Thunderbird..... wink

I am not that much into cars wink

^ just listen to the song.. cool


Alphabet St.

No!

I'm going down 2 Alphabet Street
I'm gonna crown the first girl that I meet
I'm gonna talk so sexy
She'll want me from my head 2 my feet

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yes she will
Yeah, yeah, yeah (Yeah)
Yeah, yeah, yeah

I'm gonna drive my daddy's Thunderbird (My daddy's thunderbird) biggrin
A white rad ride, '66 ('67) so glam it's absurd
I'm gonna put her in the back seat
And drive her 2 ... Tennessee

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, Tennessee
Yeah, yeah, yeah, drive her

Excuse me, baby
I don't mean 2 be rude
But I guess tonight I'm just not, I'm just not in the mood
So if U don't mind (Yeah, yeah, yeah)
I would like to...watch

Yeah, yeah, yeah...can I'
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah (Can I, can I, can I, can I)

We're going down, down, down, if that's the only way
2 make this cruel, cruel world hear what we've got to say
Put the right letters together and make a better day

Yeah, yeah, yeah, better days
Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's O-O-K
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Maybe it's the only way
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Cat, we need U 2 rap
Cat, we need U 2 rap
Don't give 2 us slow
Cause we know U know
New Power Soul
Gotta gotta gotta go!

Talk 2 me lover
Come on tell me what U taste
Didn't your mama tell U
Life is 2 good 2 waste' (Put your love down)
Didn't she tell U
That Lovesexy was the glam of them all'
If U can hang, U can trip on it
U surely won't fall (Put your love down)
No side effects and
The feeling last 4-ever
Straight up - it tastes good
It makes U feel clever (Put your love down)
U kiss your enemies
Like U know U should
Then U jerk your body
Like a horny pony would (Put your love down)
U jerk your body like a horny pony would
Now run and tell your mama about that!

And while U're at it tell your papa about this

Yeah-yeah

Put your love down there when u wanna get shot

No! (Yeah, yeah)

Put your love down there when u wanna get shot
Put your love down there when u wanna get shot
Put your love down there when u wanna get shot

Put your love down there...

Get home, Alphabet Street

No!

L-L-L-L-Lovesexy

Yea, Oh, Alphabet Street
Yea, Oh, Alphabet Street

A B C D E F H I love U

©1988 Controversy Music - ASCAP

Credits: http://www.princelyrics.co.uk/song/212/


[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ecnirp2004/Prince/AlphabetSt_zpseb7c56ed.jpg[/img:$uid]

^ Lovesexy
is such a fine album & tour...!! worship love

[Edited 4/11/14 10:23am]

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/11/14 3:14pm

nursev

I was 9 in 1981 lol heard Do Me Baby on the radio and I fell in love with his voice wink then when I finally saw him it was ova lol True story in 1984 my granny took me to see PR after I begged her and she covered my eyes on those parts lol U gotta heart Prince

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/11/14 3:15pm

nursev

Over the last 30 years Ive realized that Prince has created some of the most beautiful music ever created-he touched my life and thats a beautiful thing wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/11/14 7:33pm

train23

March 3 1983 Dayton Oh. I went a Time fan and left a Prince fan I was fifteen and about three rows back and one of the few white faces in the crowd prince looked at us a few times I remember hearing them tune the beginning of Gigolos backstage then Vanity six opened what a treat to plainly see Vanitys nipples then The Time I didn't think Prince could top them but he did and the next year it rained purple
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/11/14 10:10pm

1contessa

I was a young teenager when I first heard a Prince song, I think it was International Lover.....it was then that I fell in love with Prince. I remember buying the Prince's cassette with the songs Do Me Baby and Head, etc., and boy, were those songs ever hard for me to listen to at that time. lol I used to blush like crazy and remember pressing the ff button a lot, skipping over some of the lyrics. I didn't want my family to hear the lyrics of some of those songs, because I didn't want them to know that I was listening to something so raunchy. Man, the things Prince did to this young girl's mind! lol That was the start of my becoming Princed, and I've been Princed ever since, even though many of my friends and relatives often asked me why I love Prince and his music so much? Many of them thought that he was strange, and some still do to this day, and still ask me why I like him. I told them, that I just do, that he's great, and that no one's music has ever touched me the way his has.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/14/14 12:16am

Dennis1972

thedance said:

Dennis1972 said:

I am not that much into cars wink

^ just listen to the song.. cool


Alphabet St.

No!

I'm going down 2 Alphabet Street
I'm gonna crown the first girl that I meet
I'm gonna talk so sexy
She'll want me from my head 2 my feet

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yes she will
Yeah, yeah, yeah (Yeah)
Yeah, yeah, yeah

I'm gonna drive my daddy's Thunderbird (My daddy's thunderbird) biggrin
A white rad ride, '66 ('67) so glam it's absurd
I'm gonna put her in the back seat
And drive her 2 ... Tennessee

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, Tennessee
Yeah, yeah, yeah, drive her

Excuse me, baby
I don't mean 2 be rude
But I guess tonight I'm just not, I'm just not in the mood
So if U don't mind (Yeah, yeah, yeah)
I would like to...watch

Yeah, yeah, yeah...can I'
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah (Can I, can I, can I, can I)

We're going down, down, down, if that's the only way
2 make this cruel, cruel world hear what we've got to say
Put the right letters together and make a better day

Yeah, yeah, yeah, better days
Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's O-O-K
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Maybe it's the only way
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Cat, we need U 2 rap
Cat, we need U 2 rap
Don't give 2 us slow
Cause we know U know
New Power Soul
Gotta gotta gotta go!

Talk 2 me lover
Come on tell me what U taste
Didn't your mama tell U
Life is 2 good 2 waste' (Put your love down)
Didn't she tell U
That Lovesexy was the glam of them all'
If U can hang, U can trip on it
U surely won't fall (Put your love down)
No side effects and
The feeling last 4-ever
Straight up - it tastes good
It makes U feel clever (Put your love down)
U kiss your enemies
Like U know U should
Then U jerk your body
Like a horny pony would (Put your love down)
U jerk your body like a horny pony would
Now run and tell your mama about that!

And while U're at it tell your papa about this

Yeah-yeah

Put your love down there when u wanna get shot

No! (Yeah, yeah)

Put your love down there when u wanna get shot
Put your love down there when u wanna get shot
Put your love down there when u wanna get shot

Put your love down there...

Get home, Alphabet Street

No!

L-L-L-L-Lovesexy

Yea, Oh, Alphabet Street
Yea, Oh, Alphabet Street

A B C D E F H I love U

©1988 Controversy Music - ASCAP

Credits: http://www.princelyrics.co.uk/song/212/


[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ecnirp2004/Prince/AlphabetSt_zpseb7c56ed.jpg[/img:$uid]

^ Lovesexy
is such a fine album & tour...!! worship love

[Edited 4/11/14 10:23am]

Thanks for the lesson..... prefer Little Red Corvette though cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 04/15/14 9:01am

funkaholic1972

avatar

Dennis1972 said:

Hi everyone,



I am very curious to know when, where and why you first came in touch of Prince and how you have been experienced him during that time till now....



For me it was on September 9th 1988....In the Netherlands a live broadcast from the Love Sexy Tour in Dortmund (Westfallenhallen, Germany) was scheduled and I was just curious to see what would happen as I saw the introduction of the concert while zapping by channel 'Nederland 1'. When Prince came up in his Corvette, he immediately grapped me in my deepest soul.


Of course I knew a few songs of him, but it didn't mean that much to me then.



Three hours later I was changed completely and was standing on the couch when he encored with Alphabet Street....What a thrill that evening was!



As this concert was always broadcasted live on the radio (those were the days...) I was able to track down someone who had taped it (with a few seconds missing while changing the tapes) in the days after and my days of Prince fan started. I played the tapes on my walkman and paid a small fortune on batteries for it.



I still adore almost all his work and each song of him reminds me about a particular period in my adolescent life....I always asked myself what Prince would have meant to me if I hadn't seen that show that night....



Lookin forward to read your stories....



I have great memories of that broadcast too! I watched the performance on Tv while recording it on VHS. My parents were out for the night so I could play the mudic really loud! I was taping the show also from the radio broadcast, played both tapes to death ever since. Prince at the heights of his powers!
RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 04/15/14 2:27pm

AlfaRomeo

Videoclip of Purple Rain... on a tv.. in a snackbar... watiting for the bitterballen and the broodje frikadel... 16 y of age...

Lots of concerts since then (till somewhere in the 90´s), staying up in the middle of the night to watch Rockpalast (PR Syracuse) on TV, lots of good records, 12'', not so great movies smile ...he did have a major impact on my life... and then the disappointment starting somewhere in the 2K´s... realizing it was over....

Off course aging has to do with it but I´m still very much into music... just not his (new music) anymore...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 04/16/14 7:14am

Dalia11

Hearing "How Doves Cry" on the radio and watching him on "Purple Rain" on vhs.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 04/16/14 7:22am

jillybean

avatar

Late summer of '83, when I was 9 years old. My neighbor, Kurt, was playing his radio (boom box) in the front yard. Either WLOL or KDWB (this was in Mpls). "Delirious" came on and I was like, "Who is this? I LOVE it!!!" Kurt said, "This is Prince, he's from here!" Another neighbor, Melanie, invited me over the next day and let me listen to (and copy) her "1999" cassette. It was love then, it's love now.
"She made me glad to be a man"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 04/17/14 6:09pm

jon1967

rain sent shivers to my essence but it wasnt till i saw him live in 97 did my core get seriously rocked. Hit every LA show and anything i can drive or fly to since then within my budget. If PP throws down another all celebration thing im there.

[Edited 4/20/14 9:03am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 04/19/14 7:36am

PurpleLove7

avatar

moderator

I got into Prince with a former co-worker who liked Prince but, wasn't Hard-Core. That "relationship" didn't turn into anything. She was "out of my league" yeah, I said it but, trying to get to know her I got to know Prince and let's say that I've LOVED P's music a lot longer then I "liked" her ... LoL

Emancipation Era was when I was struck by the purple lightning ...

Peace ... & Stay Funky ...

~* The only love there is, is the love "we" make *~

www.facebook.com/purplefunklover
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 04/19/14 8:42am

alandail

purple rain movie premier. I got to the theater early, they played hte soundtrack while we waited for the movie to start then I watched the movie. I couldn't get the music out of my head and by the end of the week I bought hte album even though a friend had promised to give me their copy in a few days. I couldn't wait that long.

I've been hooked ever since.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 04/19/14 9:38am

novabrkr

The expression, "becoming "Princed", has the type of a ring to it that I'm not entirely comfortable with...

I bought the GB tape from a bargain bin on New Year's Eve 1993 (I was 13). Didn't really like it that much then, but I kept getting other released by him and also used the public library system we have here and within a year or two Prince had become my favourite artist. By the time I was 16 I was even considering a name-change myself!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 04/19/14 7:11pm

3rdeyeboy

I walked into the record shop on 22nd April 1985 and saw the Around The World In A Day promo stand and this wonderful cover.

I decided to give it a go. The rest was history.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 04/20/14 6:37pm

Fizer

avatar

Late 1995, was 14 years old at the time. Saw the When Doves Cry music video on Vh1 one morning. Loved the song, decided to buy the album it was from. Immdiately loved Purple Rain, so decided to buy the The Hits 1&2 and his newest LP at the time (Gold Experience), and the rest is history!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 04/22/14 11:45am

deenajones

I think I've always been a fan but I really got into him when I was around the age of 13, I believe. Brought his greatest hits album and just fell in love. Then I used to hang round these parts when I was like 15.

LOL. I love that though. "Princed."

[Edited 4/22/14 11:45am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 04/22/14 5:48pm

jtfolden

avatar

It was 1985, I was 15, and I watched Purple Rain on HBO that summer... bought the album and liked it. THEN, I bought ATWIAD and that's when I was officially hooked. It wasn't that either album would end up being my favorite but rather the fact that Prince could and would easily slide from one type of music to another instead of just making a "Purple Rain #2"...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 04/22/14 7:15pm

FnkyManifesto7

Grew up with his 80's vinyls all over my house. My dad was really into Purple Rain, and I was too. I never really discovered his other material till roughly 4-5 years ago. I think it was a Youtube video ironically that caught my eye. The video, which is unfortunately not on youtube anymore, was about Prince's vocal range, and it had an array of songs from all throughout his career to demonstrate his remarkably low pitch, and his even more remarkable high pitch! I remember songs on there like, "Solo", "Love 2 the 9's", "In this Bed I Scream", and a bunch of others. THis video that displayed his vocal talent got me hooked on all these songs, and eventually their albums. Been a fan ever since.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 04/22/14 10:24pm

sunlite

I was aware of Prince from 'I Wanna Be Your Lover, but he didn't grab my attention until I saw the 'Controversy' video in 1981. I knew at that moment that he was on some other shit!
Release Yourself
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 04/24/14 6:29am

Dennis1972

jtfolden said:

It was 1985, I was 15, and I watched Purple Rain on HBO that summer... bought the album and liked it. THEN, I bought ATWIAD and that's when I was officially hooked. It wasn't that either album would end up being my favorite but rather the fact that Prince could and would easily slide from one type of music to another instead of just making a "Purple Rain #2"...

That is what I like the most about him: he always makes music he likes and doesn't go for a second version of a hit. Personally I always have found Most beautiful girl in the world an example of Prince saying how easily he can make a new hit. But he always surprises me when I hear a new song of him.

I wouldn't mind though if he is making a album such as Purple Rain cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > How and when you became Princed??