independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 16th Oct 2019 4:46am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Omitted lyrics on my copy of The Love Symbol CD
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/31/15 11:22pm

PurpleSkipper5
8

Omitted lyrics on my copy of The Love Symbol CD

Recently, I just got a copy of "The Love Symbol" album on CD... I got it from Amazon (used).

Now, before I got this CD, I've already heard the songs, "My Name Is Prince", "Sexy M.F." and "7".

When I first got into listening to "My Name Is Prince" from this CD, I was excited. But the thing that bothered me the most wasn't Tony M's rap believe it or not, it was when Prince says,

"I did not come to fuck around", the "fuck" is omitted on this copy. The same goes for in the song "Sexy M.F", they leave in "motha" but when "fucka" is suppose to be heard, it's omitted as well by replacing the word with Prince's signature noise "Awoooah!".

Now since I've heard these songs before without the edits, I was bugged a lot.

I'll eventually try to find a copy where it has the "Parental Advisory" label on it ...

But, does anyone else have or have had this version where there's a lot of these edits?

And what info is available on this?

”The people that will end up defining ‘Hate Speech Laws’ are the very people you don’t want to define the Hate Speech Laws” — Jordan B Peterson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/31/15 11:45pm

peer1973

yes, that's the clean edit of the album.

I think you should treasue it, it much more rare, than the 'regular' version.

I could never get my hands on one.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/01/15 12:07am

NorthC

I didn't even know there was a clean version! I bought it when it came out and it has a little purple-and-green (not the famous Parental Advisory) sticker saying:"This version of (symbol) contains language that some people may find offensive." So that does suggest there is another version.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/01/15 12:12am

SoulAlive

When this album came out in 1992,I bought the clean version and the dirty version.The clean version of " Sexy MF" is hilarious....

come here,baby...yeah....you sexy motha "aaawwwooohhhh" falloff

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/01/15 12:22am

ThomasBjj

i bought a used copy of Emancipation because one of my discs on the original copy got scratched, was very unhappy to find out that it was edited for language.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/01/15 12:54am

PolkaDots

avatar

There are actually lost words in lots of retranscripted lyrics of Prince

My bigger question is in the song 'the good life'

-----> one drop of blood ? What the hell can this mean ?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/01/15 1:33am

KoolEaze

avatar

PolkaDots said:

There are actually lost words in lots of retranscripted lyrics of Prince

My bigger question is in the song 'the good life'

-----> one drop of blood ? What the hell can this mean ?

"One drop of blood ain´t worth forsaking your dreams."

-

I take it as a motivational line to inspire you not to give up and pursue your dreams no matter what.

The one drop of blood line may refer to being black (the one drop rule, don´t know if you´ve heard about that before). So, in a nutshell, hold on to your dreams, don´t let anybody stop you, even if you are black in America and the odds are against you and your dreams.

It´s a beautiful song and I still love it.

In hindsight, the Exodus album had some very clever, uplifting and political lyrics. Count the Days is another politically charged song on that album that I like a lot. Very subtle, not really in your face, and very well written with a beautiful melody.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/01/15 1:49am

mynameisnotsus
an

peer1973 said:

yes, that's the clean edit of the album.


I think you should treasue it, it much more rare, than the 'regular' version.


I could never get my hands on one.



Me neither! I would love to find a clean edit copy.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/01/15 1:49am

thedance

avatar

SoulAlive said:

When this album came out in 1992,I bought the clean version and the dirty version.The clean version of " Sexy MF" is hilarious....

come here,baby...yeah....you sexy motha "aaawwwooohhhh" falloff

I have both as well, I think the clean version of the Sexy MF video was used on MTV..

That's how I remember this.. Prince singing: u sexy mother"aaawoooaaa"... lol

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/01/15 1:51am

thedance

avatar

My version of the clean Symbol prince album,

this came without the golden symbol printed in the cd case, no symbol on the front..

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/01/15 2:18am

PolkaDots

avatar

KoolEaze said:

PolkaDots said:

There are actually lost words in lots of retranscripted lyrics of Prince

My bigger question is in the song 'the good life'

-----> one drop of blood ? What the hell can this mean ?

"One drop of blood ain´t worth forsaking your dreams."

-

I take it as a motivational line to inspire you not to give up and pursue your dreams no matter what.

The one drop of blood line may refer to being black (the one drop rule, don´t know if you´ve heard about that before). So, in a nutshell, hold on to your dreams, don´t let anybody stop you, even if you are black in America and the odds are against you and your dreams.

It´s a beautiful song and I still love it.

In hindsight, the Exodus album had some very clever, uplifting and political lyrics. Count the Days is another politically charged song on that album that I like a lot. Very subtle, not really in your face, and very well written with a beautiful melody.

Ok. I can be so wrong sometimes.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/01/15 4:48am

greyhoodiegirl

avatar

PurpleSkipper58 said:

Recently, I just got a copy of "The Love Symbol" album on CD... I got it from Amazon (used).

Now, before I got this CD, I've already heard the songs, "My Name Is Prince", "Sexy M.F." and "7".

When I first got into listening to "My Name Is Prince" from this CD, I was excited. But the thing that bothered me the most wasn't Tony M's rap believe it or not, it was when Prince says,

"I did not come to fuck around", the "fuck" is omitted on this copy. The same goes for in the song "Sexy M.F", they leave in "motha" but when "fucka" is suppose to be heard, it's omitted as well by replacing the word with Prince's signature noise "Awoooah!".

Now since I've heard these songs before without the edits, I was bugged a lot.

I'll eventually try to find a copy where it has the "Parental Advisory" label on it ...

But, does anyone else have or have had this version where there's a lot of these edits?

And what info is available on this?

.

This happened to me too, was really annoyed. Traded it in at my local record shop. Found an explicit version on CD with the shiny gold symbol on the case for next to nothing in a charity shop almost the next day biggrin Now I have it on vinyl I don't play the CD any more but will keep it because of the pretty symbol on the case...didn't know the clean version was "rare" ? Can't believe that somehow...they are going from 50p here...

.

http://www.discogs.com/Pr...se/4496028

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/01/15 5:11am

Se7en

avatar

I had the clean version too. I believe I got that at either Meijer or Target. I got the explicit one at Harmony House.

.

I got rid of the clean version as soon as possible. Rare or not, it was shite.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/01/15 5:27am

Empress

Thankfully I've never heard the clean version. I hate shit like that. Music should be listened to the way it was written, not some "clean version". I find this pathetic to be honest.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/01/15 7:12am

djThunderfunk

avatar

When it came out, I bought the clean version for my younger sister. Later, when I realized it was kind of rare and I should have a copy for my collection, I found out they were kind of rare. I figured I could talk my sis into trading me hers for an uncensored copy but she doesn't take care of her stuff and didn't have it anymore... sad

So, keep the one you found as a collectible, but, go out right away and pick up an uncensored copy to listen to!! wink

Ross Perot was right!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/01/15 10:27am

dannyd5050

avatar

An ex-girlfriend bought a cassette copy from the Wal-Mart she worked at back in the day. Sexy MF used to make me laugh with the "aowa". It sucked. I can't recall if there were any other edits on that version. Anyone know?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/01/15 11:06am

PurpleSkipper5
8

dannyd5050 said:

An ex-girlfriend bought a cassette copy from the Wal-Mart she worked at back in the day. Sexy MF used to make me laugh with the "aowa". It sucked. I can't recall if there were any other edits on that version. Anyone know?


I think there was one that was like "sexy mutha-ooh!"
”The people that will end up defining ‘Hate Speech Laws’ are the very people you don’t want to define the Hate Speech Laws” — Jordan B Peterson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/01/15 2:42pm

SoulAlive

Empress said:

Thankfully I've never heard the clean version. I hate shit like that. Music should be listened to the way it was written, not some "clean version". I find this pathetic to be honest.

I agree.I dislike edited,"clean versions" of any album.If people can't handle the cussing,then they shouldn't buy the CD at all.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/02/15 1:42am

thedance

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

When it came out, I bought the clean version for my younger sister. Later, when I realized it was kind of rare and I should have a copy for my collection, I found out they were kind of rare. I figured I could talk my sis into trading me hers for an uncensored copy but she doesn't take care of her stuff and didn't have it anymore... sad

So, keep the one you found as a collectible, but, go out right away and pick up an uncensored copy to listen to!! wink

^ thanks for your advise.. cool

I did not know the clean version is "very rare"..


Can someone confirm to me, that the clean version of the Cd album came without the golden symbol on the front cover/ no " prince " printed on the disc case??

- I really hope so - or else my clean-Cd is in-complete... question

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/02/15 2:05am

psyche2

thedance said:

Can someone confirm to me, that the clean version of the Cd album came without the golden symbol on the front cover/ no " prince " printed on the disc case??

- I really hope so - or else my clean-Cd is in-complete... question

...I'm afraid it actually came WITH the golden symbol on front case, as the 'uncensored' version. Unfortunately I'm in the same situation as you, purchased my copy from a second hand store and the CD case was replaced with a standard one.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/02/15 2:05am

PurpleSkipper5
8

thedance said:



djThunderfunk said:


When it came out, I bought the clean version for my younger sister. Later, when I realized it was kind of rare and I should have a copy for my collection, I found out they were kind of rare. I figured I could talk my sis into trading me hers for an uncensored copy but she doesn't take care of her stuff and didn't have it anymore... sad

So, keep the one you found as a collectible, but, go out right away and pick up an uncensored copy to listen to!! wink



^ thanks for your advise.. cool

I did not know the clean version is "very rare"..


Can someone confirm to me, that the clean version of the Cd album came without the golden symbol on the front cover/ no " prince " printed on the disc case??

- I really hope so - or else my clean-Cd is in-complete... question


Yeah mine came without it as well
”The people that will end up defining ‘Hate Speech Laws’ are the very people you don’t want to define the Hate Speech Laws” — Jordan B Peterson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/02/15 3:25am

fbueller

avatar

Okay.....

Initial Cd pressings had the gold prince painted on the jewel case.

.

On later pressings, Warner Bros. printed a yellow symbol on the cover of the Cd booklet itself, which saved the step of painting symbols on jewel cases.

.

The way to determine if the Cd is a clean or regular version is: the regular version has the Parental Advisory stamp printed on the cover of the booklet. The clean version booklet is just the album cover and doesn't say clean version or anything.

.

The Cd's look identical, so you would have to refer to the catalog number on the Cd to determine which version it is.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/02/15 5:23am

thedance

avatar

^^^ thanks for the replies all 3 of you.. cool

Conclussion?

So my Clean version without the prince symbol on the plastic case, this is just a later pressing.. right?

Thank U. wink

.

[Edited 6/2/15 5:23am]

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/02/15 5:24am

psyche2

fbueller said:

Okay.....

Initial Cd pressings had the gold prince painted on the jewel case.

.

On later pressings, Warner Bros. printed a yellow symbol on the cover of the Cd booklet itself, which saved the step of painting symbols on jewel cases.

.

The way to determine if the Cd is a clean or regular version is: the regular version has the Parental Advisory stamp printed on the cover of the booklet. The clean version booklet is just the album cover and doesn't say clean version or anything.

.

The Cd's look identical, so you would have to refer to the catalog number on the Cd to determine which version it is.

I've never seen a US or European CD version with the symbol printed on the (paper) cover - all of them had the symbol in gold over the CD plastic case. Would love to see a picture.

If memory serves me right some 'exotic' release had the symbol printed on the cover like you describe, like the South African or Brazilian releases.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/02/15 6:30am

callimnate

avatar

psyche2 said:

fbueller said:

Okay.....

Initial Cd pressings had the gold prince painted on the jewel case.

.

On later pressings, Warner Bros. printed a yellow symbol on the cover of the Cd booklet itself, which saved the step of painting symbols on jewel cases.

.

The way to determine if the Cd is a clean or regular version is: the regular version has the Parental Advisory stamp printed on the cover of the booklet. The clean version booklet is just the album cover and doesn't say clean version or anything.

.

The Cd's look identical, so you would have to refer to the catalog number on the Cd to determine which version it is.

I've never seen a US or European CD version with the symbol printed on the (paper) cover - all of them had the symbol in gold over the CD plastic case. Would love to see a picture.

If memory serves me right some 'exotic' release had the symbol printed on the cover like you describe, like the South African or Brazilian releases.

Now that everyone's mentined it. I do recall seeing the printed symbol on the insert/booklet. It looked cheap as. Never bought it. And I was buying EVERYTHING back then, so..... wink

.

As for the normal release, they all had the gold symbol stamped on it, and the naughty version, had a yellow/purple sticker warning the langueage.

.

HATED the clean version, but do remember playing it when mum and dad were in the car, biggrin

.

Here's the pic of the non-sticker cover.

.

[Edited 6/2/15 6:34am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/02/15 6:35am

thedance

avatar

^ I laughed, at your sentence about your parents... haha.... maybe because Sexy MF is kind of "controversial"... and maybe still is...? We don't want parents to hear this song, do we.. ? wink

spit



:

[Edited 6/2/15 6:37am]

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/02/15 10:26am

BlackCandle

avatar

SoulAlive said:



Empress said:


Thankfully I've never heard the clean version. I hate shit like that. Music should be listened to the way it was written, not some "clean version". I find this pathetic to be honest.


I agree.I dislike edited,"clean versions" of any album.If people can't handle the cussing,then they shouldn't buy the CD at all.



I used to think the same.

Then I heard Miguel...
"Had to get off the boat so I could walk on water..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/02/15 10:52am

Se7en

avatar

I don't mind clean lyrics if they are intentional. I cannot stand cheap radio censorships or obvious ones like the Sexy-MF "aowa".

.

I have 2 versions of Radiohead's Creep - one replaces "fucking special" with "very special". Obviously the "very special" version is what everyone has heard on the radio.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Omitted lyrics on my copy of The Love Symbol CD