independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 17th Sep 2019 5:15am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I think I spotted a non-Prince fan wearing a Prince shirt
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/14/19 6:44pm

AvocadosMax

I think I spotted a non-Prince fan wearing a Prince shirt

I work as a cashier and when no one is in your line, you either straighten candy and whatnot or you stand at the end of your line and greet people

This one guy had this really interesting shirt. Never seen anything like it, and bear with me as i probably won’t do it justice when describing it

On this t-shirt was the photo of Prince i’m pretty sure taken exactly from the 1979 self titled second studio album

But it was black and white and it had a cool design on it, like clay. And it almost looked like it was combined with either another Prince picture or someone else. Keep in mind I only got like 3 seconds of viewing this design.


So I tell the guy, “hey, nice shirt!”

And the boring guy just went “thank you” and kept walking. Which leads me to believe he wasn’t a fan at all. You’d think a Prince fan would start a conversation about it, I’m sure most of us love meeting other hardcore fans in public.

But no, this guy wasn’t really friendly

On the back of this weird shirt was text that wasn’t english. I know that makes me sound dumb but again I only glanced at it. I’m sure if I looked at the text I would have made at least a few guessed lol
One word started with “V” tho

Has anyone else seen this shirt?? It can’t be made by the estate. The reason why I’m making this post is because I wonder how a guy who’s not a fan (who at least doesn’t seem like one) got this shirt with Prince’s face on it, and a shirt that can’t be well known or in many stores. Yet again, the style was cool so he may have just got it ‘cause it looked cool.

Has anyone else seen this shirt?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/14/19 11:03pm

Nuernberg72

AvocadosMax said:

I work as a cashier and when no one is in your line, you either straighten candy and whatnot or you stand at the end of your line and greet people

This one guy had this really interesting shirt. Never seen anything like it, and bear with me as i probably won’t do it justice when describing it

On this t-shirt was the photo of Prince i’m pretty sure taken exactly from the 1979 self titled second studio album

But it was black and white and it had a cool design on it, like clay. And it almost looked like it was combined with either another Prince picture or someone else. Keep in mind I only got like 3 seconds of viewing this design.


So I tell the guy, “hey, nice shirt!”

And the boring guy just went “thank you” and kept walking. Which leads me to believe he wasn’t a fan at all. You’d think a Prince fan would start a conversation about it, I’m sure most of us love meeting other hardcore fans in public.

But no, this guy wasn’t really friendly

On the back of this weird shirt was text that wasn’t english. I know that makes me sound dumb but again I only glanced at it. I’m sure if I looked at the text I would have made at least a few guessed lol
One word started with “V” tho

Has anyone else seen this shirt?? It can’t be made by the estate. The reason why I’m making this post is because I wonder how a guy who’s not a fan (who at least doesn’t seem like one) got this shirt with Prince’s face on it, and a shirt that can’t be well known or in many stores. Yet again, the style was cool so he may have just got it ‘cause it looked cool.

Has anyone else seen this shirt?

I think I know which shirt you mean. i was in mallorca and i saw one with the shirt and thought cool. but when i stood in front of it i realized that it was a picture of charles manson. you can find the picture around internet.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/15/19 1:01am

AvocadosMax

Nuernberg72 said:

AvocadosMax said:

I work as a cashier and when no one is in your line, you either straighten candy and whatnot or you stand at the end of your line and greet people

This one guy had this really interesting shirt. Never seen anything like it, and bear with me as i probably won’t do it justice when describing it

On this t-shirt was the photo of Prince i’m pretty sure taken exactly from the 1979 self titled second studio album

But it was black and white and it had a cool design on it, like clay. And it almost looked like it was combined with either another Prince picture or someone else. Keep in mind I only got like 3 seconds of viewing this design.


So I tell the guy, “hey, nice shirt!”

And the boring guy just went “thank you” and kept walking. Which leads me to believe he wasn’t a fan at all. You’d think a Prince fan would start a conversation about it, I’m sure most of us love meeting other hardcore fans in public.

But no, this guy wasn’t really friendly

On the back of this weird shirt was text that wasn’t english. I know that makes me sound dumb but again I only glanced at it. I’m sure if I looked at the text I would have made at least a few guessed lol
One word started with “V” tho

Has anyone else seen this shirt?? It can’t be made by the estate. The reason why I’m making this post is because I wonder how a guy who’s not a fan (who at least doesn’t seem like one) got this shirt with Prince’s face on it, and a shirt that can’t be well known or in many stores. Yet again, the style was cool so he may have just got it ‘cause it looked cool.

Has anyone else seen this shirt?

I think I know which shirt you mean. i was in mallorca and i saw one with the shirt and thought cool. but when i stood in front of it i realized that it was a picture of charles manson. you can find the picture around internet.

Looked that up on google. No, definitely was not Charles Manson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/15/19 1:48am

NouveauDance

avatar

Maybe the guy was a really big Charles Manson fan and bought it by mistake.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/15/19 2:06am

VaultCurator

avatar

AvocadosMax said:

So I tell the guy, “hey, nice shirt!” And the boring guy just went “thank you” and kept walking. Which leads me to believe he wasn’t a fan at all.

.

... That's a bit of a leap isn't it mate?
.
I think it's not unreasonable to assume that if he's wearing a Prince shirt that he admires Prince to some degree. It's entirely possible that he's not a Prince fan but he bought the shirt for some other reason.
.
Maybe he just wasn't in the mood to chat.

RIP EXTRALOVEABLE!!! sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/15/19 4:45am

maplenpg

avatar

VaultCurator said:

AvocadosMax said:

So I tell the guy, “hey, nice shirt!” And the boring guy just went “thank you” and kept walking. Which leads me to believe he wasn’t a fan at all.

.

... That's a bit of a leap isn't it mate?
.
I think it's not unreasonable to assume that if he's wearing a Prince shirt that he admires Prince to some degree. It's entirely possible that he's not a Prince fan but he bought the shirt for some other reason.
.
Maybe he just wasn't in the mood to chat.

That's what I thought. I have a Prince tattoo and if people say things like 'Hey, I like your tattoo', I usually just say thanks and carry on with my day.

If you're going to refer to people as 'scum' or 'garbage vomit', at least have a reason to do so.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/15/19 4:50am

JorisE73

AvocadosMax said:

You’d think a Prince fan would start a conversation about it, I’m sure most of us love meeting other hardcore fans in public.



I honestly don't mind meeting other fans but I know a lot of hardcore fans that hate meeting or talking to other fans in public.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/15/19 7:24am

Genesia

avatar

JorisE73 said:

AvocadosMax said:

You’d think a Prince fan would start a conversation about it, I’m sure most of us love meeting other hardcore fans in public.



I honestly don't mind meeting other fans but I know a lot of hardcore fans that hate meeting or talking to other fans in public.


Count me among them. I'm not going to start an in depth conversation about Prince with some random cashier.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/15/19 8:12am

Nuernberg72

I mean this one https://teeshirt21.de/de-...gK2EfD_BwE confused
[Edited 7/15/19 8:14am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/15/19 8:19am

mbdtyler

Maybe the dude isn't a people person? Not everyone is eager to dive headfirst into a conversation with a stranger. Also, who cares whether he was a fan or not? Anyone is allowed to wear a Prince shirt if they want, it's all good.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/15/19 9:00am

AvocadosMax

Nuernberg72 said:

I mean this one https://teeshirt21.de/de-...gK2EfD_BwE confused
[Edited 7/15/19 8:14am]

No. Not that. I’m about 99.99% sure it was Prince. Saw the eyes and hair
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/15/19 9:37am

Genesia

avatar

So let me understand: You started a thread because some guy who may or may not have been wearing a Prince t-shirt (you don't for sure because you didn't see the front clearly and couldn't read the back) didn't have a conversation with you about his shirt?

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/15/19 11:49am

barnswallow

Genesia said:

So let me understand: You started a thread because some guy who may or may not have been wearing a Prince t-shirt (you don't for sure because you didn't see the front clearly and couldn't read the back) didn't have a conversation with you about his shirt?

Or... The shirt was the point of interest, not the guy and the post was started to find out if anyone knows anything about the shirt. absolut

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/15/19 12:18pm

ChickenMcNugge
ts

avatar

Who’s to say the guy would’ve realised you were even a fan yourself? For all he knew, you might’ve just liked the design or been a casual fan who only knows the obvious hits.

I’d have probably just said ‘thank you’ and carried on with my day as well... rather than embarrass myself trying to launch into a conversation with a stranger about the lyrical intricacies of Billy Jack Bitch. Lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/15/19 12:39pm

Genesia

avatar

barnswallow said:

Genesia said:

So let me understand: You started a thread because some guy who may or may not have been wearing a Prince t-shirt (you don't for sure because you didn't see the front clearly and couldn't read the back) didn't have a conversation with you about his shirt?

Or... The shirt was the point of interest, not the guy and the post was started to find out if anyone knows anything about the shirt. absolut


The shirt he didn't see clearly, can't describe and isn't even sure is actually a Prince shirt? Okay.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/15/19 12:40pm

lust

avatar

I think we have a great new name for the “No true Scotsman” logical fallacy. “No true Prince fan”

A real Prince fan would have bought you dinner and by now you’d have been making sweet sweet love to “Adore”
If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda pussy to drink it!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/15/19 12:51pm

ThatWhiteDude

avatar

Genesia said:



JorisE73 said:




AvocadosMax said:


You’d think a Prince fan would start a conversation about it, I’m sure most of us love meeting other hardcore fans in public.



I honestly don't mind meeting other fans but I know a lot of hardcore fans that hate meeting or talking to other fans in public.




Count me among them. I'm not going to start an in depth conversation about Prince with some random cashier.


yeahthat
"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."


"Extra cheese, extra HAM, extra bullshit" -DiminutiveRocker
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/15/19 1:49pm

PeteSilas

people get t-shirts from all sorts of sources, i get a lot from goodwill and some idiot always thinks i'm a fan of something I'm not, "hurling" or "curling" some sport, army shirts, I have one that says "Boeing" and since that's a reputable place to work people always ask if i work there, I tell them "I did but I got fired" Natural reaction is "what did you get fired for" I say, "sexual harassment". always gets a laugh or a shocked reaction. You never can tell a fan by what shirt they wear, some of them might be lukewarm fans or the kind of superficial fans that think something is cool but don't really know any facts about the person or entity. and, it's always awkward talking to strangers for many people, me included.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/15/19 2:24pm

thedoorkeeper

Could be he is a Prince fan but he didn't want to talk to you. Whenever a complete stranger compliments me on something I'm wearing I just say "thanks" & move along.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/15/19 2:59pm

PeteSilas

thedoorkeeper said:

Could be he is a Prince fan but he didn't want to talk to you. Whenever a complete stranger compliments me on something I'm wearing I just say "thanks" & move along.

ya, that goes both ways for me. I saw a guy wearing a sun records shirt, rare and you'd think he'd be a fan, i was driving, he said "thanks" and that was all i expected. Problem is, if you're in a city, hustlers are everywhere, they'll stop you any way they can. Just last week some bum said "amigo' to me, thinking i'm mexican and trying to get rapport so he can ask for something, i rolled up my window and he cursed me and went the other way.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/15/19 6:22pm

AvocadosMax

Ok fair enough he probably just didn’t want to talk to a stranger, but the shirt, guys! Has anyone seen it before?? It definitely was not Charles Manson, I’m sure of that
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/15/19 6:30pm

PeteSilas

AvocadosMax said:

Ok fair enough he probably just didn’t want to talk to a stranger, but the shirt, guys! Has anyone seen it before?? It definitely was not Charles Manson, I’m sure of that

I haven't but from your description it sounds like the phony mug shot pic.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/15/19 7:02pm

rdhull

avatar

geezus

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/15/19 7:13pm

AvocadosMax

PeteSilas said:

AvocadosMax said:

Ok fair enough he probably just didn’t want to talk to a stranger, but the shirt, guys! Has anyone seen it before?? It definitely was not Charles Manson, I’m sure of that

I haven't but from your description it sounds like the phony mug shot pic.

That’s gotta be it!!! Or at least a better design from what I saw on google. Thanks
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/15/19 7:13pm

AvocadosMax

Mystery solved! Thanks org!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/16/19 12:51am

PeteSilas

AvocadosMax said:

Mystery solved! Thanks org!

the actual picture, if i remember correctly, was something that someone reversed, so that's why prince's features look a little off, the photo is reversed. forgot all the details but there was a story that prince was arrested or something, which wasn't true, at least not at that time (I think he got arrested feeling up manuela in a theater in the 90's). Correct me anyone who remembers different.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/16/19 2:07am

jaawwnn

avatar

PeteSilas said:

AvocadosMax said:

Mystery solved! Thanks org!

the actual picture, if i remember correctly, was something that someone reversed, so that's why prince's features look a little off, the photo is reversed. forgot all the details but there was a story that prince was arrested or something, which wasn't true, at least not at that time (I think he got arrested feeling up manuela in a theater in the 90's). Correct me anyone who remembers different.

I believe the story is that Prince and Matt got arrested for stealing a megaphone, they spent the night in jail and got out just by signing autographs and posing for photos. The mugshot is a fake and I don't know if it has ever been confirmed if an actual mugshot even exists, but the arrest was real.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/16/19 2:08am

Wolfie87

AvocadosMax said:

PeteSilas said:


I haven't but from your description it sounds like the phony mug shot pic.

That’s gotta be it!!! Or at least a better design from what I saw on google. Thanks


Lol, I've actually seen that T-shirt numerous times in my country. Even more than any Purple Rain merchandise. Hell, I think that guy bought it just because of the absurdity of Prince on a mugshot. Mugshot merchandise of any sort is really, really popular.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/16/19 2:16am

PeteSilas

jaawwnn said:



PeteSilas said:




AvocadosMax said:


Mystery solved! Thanks org!

the actual picture, if i remember correctly, was something that someone reversed, so that's why prince's features look a little off, the photo is reversed. forgot all the details but there was a story that prince was arrested or something, which wasn't true, at least not at that time (I think he got arrested feeling up manuela in a theater in the 90's). Correct me anyone who remembers different.



I believe the story is that Prince and Matt got arrested for stealing a megaphone, they spent the night in jail and got out just by signing autographs and posing for photos. The mugshot is a fake and I don't know if it has ever been confirmed if an actual mugshot even exists, but the arrest was real.



Ok tx
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/17/19 5:50am

darlingnikkkki

AvocadosMax said:

I work as a cashier and when no one is in your line, you either straighten candy and whatnot or you stand at the end of your line and greet people

This one guy had this really interesting shirt. Never seen anything like it, and bear with me as i probably won’t do it justice when describing it

On this t-shirt was the photo of Prince i’m pretty sure taken exactly from the 1979 self titled second studio album

But it was black and white and it had a cool design on it, like clay. And it almost looked like it was combined with either another Prince picture or someone else. Keep in mind I only got like 3 seconds of viewing this design.


So I tell the guy, “hey, nice shirt!”

And the boring guy just went “thank you” and kept walking. Which leads me to believe he wasn’t a fan at all. You’d think a Prince fan would start a conversation about it, I’m sure most of us love meeting other hardcore fans in public.

But no, this guy wasn’t really friendly

On the back of this weird shirt was text that wasn’t english. I know that makes me sound dumb but again I only glanced at it. I’m sure if I looked at the text I would have made at least a few guessed lol
One word started with “V” tho

Has anyone else seen this shirt?? It can’t be made by the estate. The reason why I’m making this post is because I wonder how a guy who’s not a fan (who at least doesn’t seem like one) got this shirt with Prince’s face on it, and a shirt that can’t be well known or in many stores. Yet again, the style was cool so he may have just got it ‘cause it looked cool.

Has anyone else seen this shirt?



You should have said, “Cool shirt! Where’d you get it?” and see if he was willing to talk some more. I, personally, would just say “thanks” and move on as I would think you complimenting my shirt was your way of just greeting customers, like saying “Hello”.
"I want to be the only one you come for...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I think I spotted a non-Prince fan wearing a Prince shirt