independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 9th Dec 2019 8:29pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Whitney Houston hologram UK arena tour announced for 2020
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/19/19 7:32pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Whitney Houston hologram UK arena tour announced for 2020

confused Whitney Houston hologram UK arena tour announced for 2020

Andrew TrendellSep 17, 2019 12:59 pm BST

GettyImages-51312905_WHITNEY_HOUSTON_2000-920x584.jpgWhitney Houston, 2004 Credit: Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Would you pay to see a hologram?

A Whitney Houston hologram tour has been confirmed to hit UK arena in 2020. Full dates and ticket details are below.

The soul legend and celebrated actress passed away seven years a... age of 48. After being found unconscious in a bath in a Beverley Hills hotel, a coroner found that her cause of death was dr...ocaine use”.

Divisive plans for a holo... some time, but now the An Evening With Whitney: The Whitney Houston Hologram Tour has been confirmed for February and March 2020.

whitneyhouston-GettyImages-944098250-1024x650.jpg

Whitney Houston in Concert at Earls Court Exhibition Centre, London, 5th November 1993. The Bodyguard World Tour 1993

The tour promises “state-of-the-art proprietary holographic technology and combined with unmatched Broadway theatrical stagecraft, a live band, back-up singers and dancers set to digitally remastered arrangements of her classic songs” while “the production will be helmed by acclaimed choreographer Fatima Robinson” (Dreamgirls, The Academy Awards).

The new show is the work of Base Entertainment – which has previously pioneered holo...oy Orbison. The company were also responsible for developing an Amy Winehouse tour, before plans for a likeness of the late singer were ultimately put on ice.

GettyImages-85342956-1024x650.jpg

Whitney Houston

“Whitney Houston was a talent beyond words, and her influence and artistry transcended all boundaries,” said Brian Becker, Chairman & CEO, BASE Entertainment and BASE Hologram. “What we are creating here is a new type of theatrical concert experience designed to capture that magic. When she performed there was an unmatched level of charisma and emotion to it – that’s what we are going to bring to audiences and it’s an honour to be able to help add to her legacy with this project.”

Pat Houston, Whitney’s former Manager and President and CEO of The Estate of Whitney E. Houston added: “A hologram show is all about the imagination and creating a ‘wow factor’ that extends to an incredible experience to enjoy for years to come.

“Whitney is not with us but her music will live with us forever. We know we made the right decision partnering with BASE because they understand how important it is to produce a phenomenal hologram. They also know that engaging her fans with an authentic Whitney experience would resonate worldwide because of the iconic status that she created over three decades. Her fans deserve nothing less because she gave nothing less than her best.”


Read more at https://www.nme.com/news/music

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/19/19 8:27pm

looby

So morbid. dead

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/19/19 10:22pm

RJOrion

the O.D.B. hologram looks scarily realistic.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/20/19 12:34am

SoulAlive

this is sad and embarassing,smh

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/20/19 12:43am

SoulAlive

How does this work? Will there be 'real' bandmembers/musicians onstage with the holgram? hmmm or will they simply use holograms for her backup band? nuts

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/20/19 2:18am

JorisE73

RJOrion said:

the O.D.B. hologram looks scarily realistic.


That one is equaly bad as the 2Pac and MJ one.
When I watched the Wu-Tang set on GlastonBury this year they had some lookalike doing some ODB impression. that was really awkward.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/20/19 3:49am

EmmaMcG

avatar

I'm not sure where I stand on these hologram "performances". If the artist, during their lifetime, expressed interest in their image being used as part of a hologram after death then I think it's OK, providing their surviving family members agree. In that case, who are we to argue with the right or wrong of it. If you don't like it, then don't go, you know?

Would I personally pay to see a hologram? Yes. Absolutely. But not a hologram of a dead singer. That kind of thing wouldn't interest me at all. Doesn't matter who it was. Whitney, MJ, Prince, Elvis. Anyone. But if there's enough investment into the technology behind these holograms, then it's not inconceivable to think that in a few years time these holograms could replace, or be part of, cinema, video games, home entertainment. Like, imagine watching something like Blade Runner where the movie takes place in your living room. It's like the next generation of VR. Obviously, that's a long way off but it's not completely unrealistic. And the technology has to start somewhere so these holographic concerts have their good points too. It's just that I'm not interested in what they're currently offering.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/20/19 5:10am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

SoulAlive said:

How does this work? Will there be 'real' bandmembers/musicians onstage with the holgram? hmmm or will they simply use holograms for her backup band? nuts


.
I recall an article suggested members of Whitney’s band when she was amongst the living will back the hologram on the tour. confused
if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/20/19 11:05am

RJOrion

JorisE73 said:



RJOrion said:


the O.D.B. hologram looks scarily realistic.


That one is equaly bad as the 2Pac and MJ one.
When I watched the Wu-Tang set on GlastonBury this year they had some lookalike doing some ODB impression. that was really awkward.





that "lookalike" is ODB's Son, Young Dirty
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/20/19 2:36pm

looby

Everyone knows this woman is dead, it's like watching a ghost performing. disbelief

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/20/19 2:45pm

Cinny

avatar

I can't imagine what footage they would project for her hologram. What head-to-toe film exists of a full Whitney concert?


The MJ hologram in Vegas and on the 2014 Billboard Awards looked like an impersonator being projected.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/20/19 6:02pm

gandorb

I really like how Queen used a hologram of Freddie for about a total of 10 minutes of their concert during their current tour. It was touching. I remember many people there and even some critics said that more than that would have not worked, and I agree. I would have no interest in seeing an entire hologram performance of Whitney or anyone. Much rather just watch a filmed version of one of their greatest performance.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/21/19 10:38am

BalladofPeterP
arker

I think the whole idea is demented, especially without the performers agreement to this while still alive. Turning beloved icons into souless puppets ready to dance and sing for our amusement is selfish at best. Who decides what songs they do, what they wear, who and where they perform? Giant souless companies that don't give a shit about the artist beliefs, taste, or wishes will make the decisions. How soon until Apple or some other megacompany buys the rights to force a hologram Prince to endorse the iphone 99?

Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should do a thing.

[Edited 9/21/19 10:38am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/21/19 10:59am

onlyforaminute

I guess we'll see if they sustain the energy that a live performer can project.
Better not glitch.
I wonder what happened to the Amy Winehouse tour?
[Edited 9/21/19 11:04am]
Year of Return 2019
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/21/19 12:20pm

looby

BalladofPeterParker said:

I think the whole idea is demented, especially without the performers agreement to this while still alive. Turning beloved icons into souless puppets ready to dance and sing for our amusement is selfish at best. Who decides what songs they do, what they wear, who and where they perform? Giant souless companies that don't give a shit about the artist beliefs, taste, or wishes will make the decisions. How soon until Apple or some other megacompany buys the rights to force a hologram Prince to endorse the iphone 99?

Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should do a thing.

[Edited 9/21/19 10:38am]

I agree...the whole thing really creeps me out! It's so morbid, like you're being entertained by a corpse, and something about that is just not right!

[Edited 9/21/19 15:16pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/21/19 2:32pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

BalladofPeterParker said:

Turning beloved icons into souless puppets ready to dance and sing for our amusement is selfish at best.

But what's the difference in this and those 1990s commercials with Fred Astaire dancing with a Dirt Devil, putting Bruce Lee or John Lennon in a video game, a Beatles/Michael Jackson Cirque du Soleil show, going to see a tribute band, getting married by an Elvis Presley impersonator in Vegas, or the 1990s & early 2000s Elvis: The Concert tours with his original 1970s musicians and background singers including Cissy Houston, Whitney's mother. They played live to Elvis vocals and footage shown on a screen. There's also the case of multiple versions of band. At one point there were at least 5 different Temptations groups, each featuring various former members. The companies wouldn't do these kinds of things if enough people didn't support it to make a profit. The people who want to see it will. It's not a big deal. lol

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/21/19 2:50pm

onlyforaminute

Its funny nobody around here attended the Billy Holiday concert at the Apollo or just remaining silent?
Year of Return 2019
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/21/19 3:21pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

BalladofPeterParker said:

Turning beloved icons into souless puppets ready to dance and sing for our amusement is selfish at best.

But what's the difference in this and those 1990s commercials with Fred Astaire dancing with a Dirt Devil, putting Bruce Lee or John Lennon in a video game, a Beatles/Michael Jackson Cirque du Soleil show, going to see a tribute band, getting married by an Elvis Presley impersonator in Vegas, or the 1990s & early 2000s Elvis: The Concert tours with his original 1970s musicians and background singers including Cissy Houston, Whitney's mother. They played live to Elvis vocals and footage shown on a screen. There's also the case of multiple versions of band. At one point there were at least 5 different Temptations groups, each featuring various former members. The companies wouldn't do these kinds of things if enough people didn't support it to make a profit. The people who want to see it will. It's not a big deal. lol

I'd rather see a LIVE impersonator do a tribute concert than a lifeless projected "ghost" of the original artist any time...

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/21/19 3:31pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

I am not a fan of hologram shows hmph!

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/21/19 3:45pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

I'd rather see a LIVE impersonator do a tribute concert than a lifeless projected "ghost" of the original artist any time...

What about the CGI Marlon Brando in Superman Returns? He wasn't alive when the movie was made, and even if he was, they based it on his appearance in the 1978 Superman.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 09/21/19 4:27pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

MickyDolenz said:



purplethunder3121 said:


I'd rather see a LIVE impersonator do a tribute concert than a lifeless projected "ghost" of the original artist any time...



What about the CGI Marlon Brando in Superman Returns? He wasn't alive when the movie was made, and even if he was, they based it on his appearance in the 1978 Superman.




They used deleted scenes from Superman: The Movie to capture Brando in Superman Returns. I'm with you on your other points regarding Bruce Lee's likeness in a video game or the use of Fred Astaire on commercials but the Brando/Superman thing is different. He knew when he filmed those scenes that he was doing so for a Superman movie. The fact that the film makers used the footage in a sequel is irrelevant. It's still set in the same continuity as the Richard Donner Superman movies. Holograms of dead singers or Brule Lee's appearance in video games are totally different. Those singers didn't know that they'd be used in holographic performances. Now, some of them would be OK with it. Michael Jackson would have probably loved it. Prince definitely wouldn't. Whitney? Who knows? Like I said before, it's not something that would interest me but if the artist had given permission to use their likeness for this kind of thing when they were alive, then I think there's nothing really wrong with their families making a bit of money out of it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 09/21/19 6:10pm

whitechocolate
brotha

avatar

Typical, lame-o, industry b.s. 2 make $. And she really wasn't THAT amazing in MY opinion.

Hungry? Just look in the mirror and get fed up.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 09/22/19 10:57am

BalladofPeterP
arker

MickyDolenz said:

BalladofPeterParker said:

Turning beloved icons into souless puppets ready to dance and sing for our amusement is selfish at best.

But what's the difference in this and those 1990s commercials with Fred Astaire dancing with a Dirt Devil, putting Bruce Lee or John Lennon in a video game, a Beatles/Michael Jackson Cirque du Soleil show, going to see a tribute band, getting married by an Elvis Presley impersonator in Vegas, or the 1990s & early 2000s Elvis: The Concert tours with his original 1970s musicians and background singers including Cissy Houston, Whitney's mother. They played live to Elvis vocals and footage shown on a screen. There's also the case of multiple versions of band. At one point there were at least 5 different Temptations groups, each featuring various former members. The companies wouldn't do these kinds of things if enough people didn't support it to make a profit. The people who want to see it will. It's not a big deal. lol

To answer your questions:

Fred Astaire thing Dirt Devil commercial: WHo said there was a difference? I considered it bizarre at the time it came out. Again, let's see how you feel when an artist you respect is forced to endorse cheese whiz from the grave.

Bruce Lee and John Lennon in video games is not the same at all. They are depicted as cartoonish at best representations of themselves. There's no attempt to create an illusion that they are real. You KNOW that comparison was a reach and very weak attempt at making a salient point, the same can be said about your impersonators question.

Regarding people supporting them:

So because a large number of people are dumb enough to support such an assinine project that makes it ok? I guess that explains Beiber.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree, have a good time at the show. I'll be satisfied with the memories.

[Edited 9/22/19 10:58am]

[Edited 9/22/19 10:59am]

[Edited 9/22/19 11:00am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 09/22/19 11:47am

MickyDolenz

avatar

BalladofPeterParker said:

Again, let's see how you feel when an artist you respect is forced to endorse cheese whiz from the grave.

I don't care about it. I can either like it or ignore it. I don't see anything to complain about. Sounds like first world problems to me. It's not that serious.

BalladofPeterParker said:

Regarding people supporting them:

So because a large number of people are dumb enough to support such an assinine project that makes it ok? I guess that explains Beiber

Going by these comments you're a music snob because there is nothing wrong with Justin Beiber. And people aren't dumb if they want to see a hologram concert. I guess I'm not worthy of your "superior taste" for "real music by real musicians".

https://66.media.tumblr.com/be22cee8747533cf7db560cc721b73e4/tumblr_p4tma7SZMr1wz0m40o3_500.gifvhttps://66.media.tumblr.com/555512a7231fe42357ed9ca33bcb30d5/tumblr_nko9otClb41uofchxo1_500.gifvhttps://66.media.tumblr.com/dc8af78ff2d03b2c3900cf3fcbc6f451/tumblr_n5pfk1yk1W1qbn9g2o4_250.gifv


For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 09/22/19 11:53am

alphastreet

Making a hologram tour seems to be out of desperation
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 09/22/19 12:48pm

BalladofPeterP
arker

MickyDolenz said:

BalladofPeterParker said:

Again, let's see how you feel when an artist you respect is forced to endorse cheese whiz from the grave.

I don't care about it. I can either like it or ignore it. I don't see anything to complain about. Sounds like first world problems to me. It's not that serious.

BalladofPeterParker said:

Regarding people supporting them:

So because a large number of people are dumb enough to support such an assinine project that makes it ok? I guess that explains Beiber

Going by these comments you're a music snob because there is nothing wrong with Justin Beiber. And people aren't dumb if they want to see a hologram concert. I guess I'm not worthy of your "superior taste" for "real music by real musicians".

https://66.media.tumblr.com/be22cee8747533cf7db560cc721b73e4/tumblr_p4tma7SZMr1wz0m40o3_500.gifvhttps://66.media.tumblr.com/555512a7231fe42357ed9ca33bcb30d5/tumblr_nko9otClb41uofchxo1_500.gifvhttps://66.media.tumblr.com/dc8af78ff2d03b2c3900cf3fcbc6f451/tumblr_n5pfk1yk1W1qbn9g2o4_250.gifv


Oh wow your going to come on here and use the classic "first world problems" to dismiss everything instead of standing up for your convictions, well played. Regarding my taste in music, how do you know who I like beyond Prince? What does that have to do with holograms? Try using logic and clear concise arguments instead of insults...or don't.

Post a few more meaningless animated gifs next time...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 09/22/19 3:24pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

purplethunder3121 said:

I'd rather see a LIVE impersonator do a tribute concert than a lifeless projected "ghost" of the original artist any time...

What about the CGI Marlon Brando in Superman Returns? He wasn't alive when the movie was made, and even if he was, they based it on his appearance in the 1978 Superman.

I don't have any problem with CGI in movies or even holograms, if the actor (or heirs) signs off on it. But, for me personally, seeing a hologram of a person in what is supposed to be a live musical performance doesn't appeal at all. I'd rather see concert footage or a human impersonator. The key word is LIVE...

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 09/23/19 7:27am

Cinny

avatar

You guys are scaring the shit out of me with the potential for using their hologram CGI likeness to endorse products. eek

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 09/23/19 2:35pm

jfenster

one day it will all be cgi...just pay the estate of the performer and no one has to work

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 09/23/19 3:35pm

Cinny

avatar

jfenster said:

one day it will all be cgi...just pay the estate of the performer and no one has to work


once we have a generation raised on entirely autotuned vocals, they can create robot performers who make artificially produced hits, and these robots will sign any endorsement deal smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Whitney Houston hologram UK arena tour announced for 2020